Sunday, October 4

Unleashing the Domestic Side

If you know me at all, you know i'm not one to make quilts, sew baby blankets, or cook casseroles. I mean, c'mon...that would be a joke if I tried! But...I just recently started some do-it-yourself "crafts". I felt like such a domestic house wife! One of my favorite blogs to look at is Thrift Decor Chick. You've gotta check out this gal's talent. She's incredible! So anyway, she has ignited a new passion of mine! I love finding old ugly pieces, and trying to make them into loverly gorgeous decor. :) My latest (and basically first) project is almost done. A couple Saturday's ago, Tay said he saw a sign for a garage sale. Of course I ran right out the door and was on my way to find potential in all of the junk! I got to the garage sale, and found this ugly brown old fashion looking shelf....for $1.00 :) woo! That's the kind of price tag I like.
I then found this box of old hamster cage pieces. Most people would skip right past this box while plugging their nose! But I jumped for joy because I found a screen! (i've been needing a screen for ages for this other project i'm doing) Well, really it was an old hamster cage lid....haha gross I know. So I asked the lady how much it would be, and she looked at me like I was the strangest girl in the world and said "I dunno, a quarter?" So my total was just $1.25. Cheap right? So I take out my wallet, and realize I have NO cash...and NO quarters, dimes, or nickles. JUST pennies...haha I didn't want to have to pay her $1.25 in just pennies. I would feel like a 3 year old in a candy shop! So embarrassingly enough, I had to tell her I have to go home and get money...yes, I had to go home to get $1.25!! I was dying haha.
So I sped home and frantically asked Taylor if he had ANY cash on him. Of course he didn't either. We both just use our visa cards for everything! At this point I was having a nightmare about not being able to buy something for $1.25. Well, we searched every drawer, every jar, and every box in our house for quarters! Guess what? NO quarters. However, we finally ended up finding enough dimes and nickles to add up to $1.25. So I had to drive back to the sale and pay the lady (who already thought I was strange for buying a hamster cage lid) and pay her in 9 dimes and and 7 nickels. But, I left that garage sale with my brain buzzing of what I could do with this shelf.
Here is the before picture---
It's not quite done yet, but so far I have spray painted it black, and added adorable fabric (I already had) to the sides. I'm going to do a couple major things with it still, so stay tuned!
I also spray painted a few other treasures I found at the D.I. I'll post those when i'm done with that project! But here's what my Dad's yard looks like after i'm done spray painting. :) Love you Dad!

3 comments:

The Byrd Family said...

Yay Heidi! I want to be like you!

Cierra::The Yellow House said...

Yay! I just love projects like these. I love feeling like I saved $$$ as well as making something beautiful for my home. Way to go Heidi!!! Come down to St George & do baby projects with me. I have a million lined up! :)

Rachel said...

That's so cool Heid! And the shelf looks great